The Fair Work Commission amended 23 Modern Awards with changes that may impact the management of your employees.
New modern awards have been created and others have been substantially rewritten, including a number that are now intended to be in plain language aimed at making them easier to understand.
When are the Modern Award Changes Occurring?
The first round of these changes was implemented in February 2020, with the second round coming into effect on the 4th of May 2020.
A third round (described by Fair Work as a “Tranche”) will be effective on 18 June 2020. The Modern Awards affected included in this tranche include:
- The Health Professionals and Support Services Award
- The Professional Employees Award
- The Pest Control Industry Award; and,
- The Miscellaneous Award
What has changed?
Depending on the Modern Award, these changes could include the addition or changes to items such as:
- Abandonment of employment
- Annual leave, including cashing out, taking leave in advance, and dealing with “excessive leave”
- Annualised salaries
- Time Off In Lieu (TOIL)
- Casual conversion and minimum periods of casual engagement
- Family and Domestic Violence leave
- Family friendly work arrangements
- Termination of employment, including deductions, payments on termination and redundancy provisions
- Overtime and penalty rates, such as clarifying how different rates interact and in particular the entitlements (if any) of casual employees to overtime rates.
We recommend that you review your award arrangements as a matter of urgency. If you would like to discuss these changes and how they may impact your business, please contact us.
For more information on these Modern Award changes, please contact People Smartz Pty Ltd on:
- Telephone: 1800 HR Smartz (1800 477 627)
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: https://peoplesmartz.com.au/contact
Would you like to discuss how these changes might affect your business with us? Book a complimentary session now